The Client Portal is used by tax pros to send key information to you, the client, and vice versa. This article will cover 2 sections:
Getting to Know the Client Portal
Permissions and Licenses Required
- Permissions: Access to the Client Portal
The Client Portal is generally used by practitioners and clients to send information back and forth in a convenient way that's available at all times. To get started, log in to the Client Portal.
- The Home tab is the first screen to load in the Client Portal.
On this screen, you might see:
- Your current Oustanding Balance, if there is one.
- Any Requests sent by the practitioner.
- Any Surveys needing to be completed.
- Any Recently added files.
- Click the Files tab.
Uploading a File
- Click Upload.
- Select the file on your computer you wish to upload.
- The uploaded file will display on the Files screen.
- Click Got it in the pop-up window to indicate you understand your practitioner might reorganize or rename this file.
- Your practitioner will receive an email notifying them of your recent upload.
- Click Upload.
- Click the Billing tab.
- This tab is where you can access outstanding invoices, view payment history, and set up your preferred payment method.
- Note: if your practitioner is not enrolled in Canopy Payments, this tab is for viewing invoices and payment history only.
- If you do not have an outstanding balance, you may not see the option to add a payment.
Setting up a payment method
- Click Make payment.
- Fill out payment and billing information.
- If needed, click the checkbox for Save credit card information for future payments.
- When this box is clicked, you then have the option to make this your default payment method and give the account a nickname.
- Click Continue.
- If the amount and date look correct, click Confirm and pay.
- Click the Requests tab.
- Requests come from your practitioner. They may send a request to provide key information or fill out a form.
Completing a Client Request
- Click any client requests on the Requests screen.
- In the slide-in panel, review any notes or instructions attached by your practitioner.
- Send a message to your practitioner by entering text in the Add a comment text field.
- Click the Mark request as complete checkbox to let your practitioner know this request has been completed.
- Your practitioner will receive a notification and review your completed request.
- If your practitioner has sent you a request for your electronic signature, the experience will be similar to other requests.
Completing an eSign Request
You will receive an email alert when your practitioner sends you an eSign request. Depending on any customizations your practitioner has put into place, your Client Portal experience may vary.
- Click the Surveys tab.
- Your practitioner may send you a Client Survey. Fill it out as accurately as you can.
Filling Out the Client Survey
- Click Client Survey.
- Click Go to Survey.
- Enter applicable information in all the fields listed on the screen.
- Click Next section.
- Continue filling out fields in each section:
- Personal profile
- Personal assets
- Income and expenses
- Miscellaneous items
- Click Submit to Practitioner.
- If you have left any other sections blank, you will be prompted to finish them before submitting your survey.
- If applicable, click skip these sections.
- The You're all done! screen will load once your survey has been spent.