Canopy allows you to quickly adjust information for a non-liable spouse within the client survey, and the source forms.
Filling Out Non-Liable Spouse Information on the Client Survey
While completing the client survey, your client has the ability to indicate that the spouse is not liable for the taxes owed.
- If the spouse is not liable, the client will select No.
- Once No is checked, additional fields will appear.
- If Yes is selected, additional fields will load. The client will need to fill out all applicable financial information about the non-liable spouse, including the contributions joint household costs.
- The information from the client survey will auto-populate in the source form.
Filling Out Non-Liable Spouse Information on Source Forms
Regardless of the what the client has entered on the client survey, you can edit the non-liable spouse information on the 433-A, 433-A OIC, and 433-F source forms. For instructions on how to locate forms in Canopy, see the Finding Forms in Canopy article.
Entering Non-Liable Spouse Personal Information
- In the Forms column, select the correct source form. Then click Personal and household information. The source form will load to the right of the Forms column.
- On the source form, click No in answer to Is the spouse liable for taxes owed?.
- If the non-liable spouse earns a separate income, click Yes in answer to Does non-liable spouse have income?. Additional information and fields will load.
- If the non-liable spouse does not earn a separate income, click No. Then, continue filling out the form as needed.
- If needed, select Create custom non-liable spouse statement and then type your custom statement in the textbox provided.
For More Information
Refer to the Calculating Non-Liable Spouse video.