Importing clients to canopy involves uploading a .CSV file, mapping headers from the .CSV file to attributes in Canopy, and then importing those to the system. A best practice suggestion is to separate your individual clients from businesses and import them separately.
Uploading the CSV File
In order to import your existing contacts into Canopy, you will need to export all of your contacts into a .CSV (Comma Separated Value) file. Start this process by navigating to the Contacts Dashboard in Canopy.
- Click on the Contacts Dashboard Menu icon on the far right side of the screen.
- Click Import Contacts.
- The Select .CSV file screen will load.
- A smaller window will pop up.
- Once your .CSV file has uploaded, you will be prompted to map your contacts.
Mapping Headers to Attributes
All headers from your .CSV file need to be mapped to attributes in Canopy or dismissed before your data can be imported to Canopy. To start this process, you will need to have uploaded a .CSV file according to the steps listed above. Once your .CSV file has been uploaded, you will see a pop up window prompting you to map your .CSV headers.
- Select the correct mapping template you would like to use or click Map Manually.
- The Map Attributes screen will load.
- In the column on the left, Canopy will display the headers pulled from your .CSV file.
- Scroll right/left to see more map more headers on the screen.
- Under each header across the top of the screen, you will see Individual only if the header only applies to individuals, Business only if the header only applies to businesses. If the header applies to either a business or an individual, you will see Individual or Business.
- Best practice recommendations are to separate your business contacts from your individual contacts.
- All of the discovered headers must be either mapped or dismissed in order to import.
- The Importing Contacts window will pop up.
- You will receive an email when the import is complete.
For More information
refer to the Importing Clients to Canopy video.
If you get a notification that you have an error file or duplicates, refer to the Merging Duplicate Import Contacts or Correcting Import Errors articles.