Deleting a payment is not the same as refunding a payment. Deleting a payment removes the payment from Canopy's system completely. Removing a payment removes a transaction from a specific invoice, making it possible to apply the amount to a different invoice. If you wish to refund a payment, refer to the Refunding Payments article.
Deleting a Payment
Be aware that Online Stripe payments cannot be deleted. Payments such as cash, check, credit card, debit card, ACH, or bank transfer can be deleted. Get started on this process by clicking on the Billing tab in Canopy.
- Click Payments.
- In the Payments section, click the checkbox next to the payment you wish to delete.
- Click the Delete icon.
- A smaller window will pop up.
- Deleting payments is a permanent action. The payment and associated transaction will be deleted with your confirmation. This action cannot be undone.
- A record of the deleted payment can be found in the 'History' section of the invoice the payment was initially applied to.
- The invoice(s) associated with a deleted payment will not have a status of Paid anymore. The invoice(s) will have an outstanding balance requiring a payment.
Removing a Payment from an Invoice
Removing a payment from an invoice does not delete the payment. The removed payment amount will create an overpayment that can be applied to a different invoice. Click the Billing tab in Canopy to get started.
- Click Payments.
- In the Payments section, click on the blue Payment # you wish to remove.
- On the Payment Receipt screen, scroll down to the Transactions section at the bottom of the screen.
- Click the delete icon.
- In the pop up window, click Remove invoice.
- Removing the invoice will delete the credit applied and will create an overpayment.
- For more information on overpayments, refer to the Refunding Payments article.
For More Information
Refer to the Deleting Payments video.